Please consult this FAQ list for information about the UAHuntsville Graduate Certificate in Technical Communication. For more information or to set up an appointment, contact Dr. Ryan Weber at

How many classes make up the Certificate program?

Six classes. These courses include two required courses – EH 501: Theory and Practice of Technical Communication and EH 603: Editing for Publication – plus two English/Linguistics electives relevant to the Certificate (see list below) and two courses in an allied field.

What English and Linguistics electives apply towards the Certificate?

The English department offers several graduate-level electives relevant to technical communication:

  • EHL 505: Survey of General Linguistics
  • EHL 507: Advanced English Grammar Studies
  • EH 542: Usability Studies
  • EH 552: User-Centered Design
  • EH 601: Writing Pedagogy
  • EH 602: Practicum in Technical Communication (a professional internship course)
  • EH 649: Special Studies (includes topics such as Grant and Proposal Writing, Document Design, etc)
  • EH 662: Information Architecture

At least one of the two electives must be at the 600 level.

What is an allied field?

An allied field is another discipline that offers grad courses at UAH with some relation to technical writing or technology. Courses in the allied field will help a student improve their marketability and communicate with subject matter experts in that profession. See this handout for potential allied fields.

How long does the Certificate usually take?

Depending on how many classes they take each semester, students typically finish the Certificate in 1.5 to 3 years. If a students takes three classes a semester, it is possible to finish the Certificate in a year, depending on the availability of electives and allied field courses. All coursework must be completed within five years of admission to the program.

Do you offer evening courses?

The program tries to offer most technical communication courses in the evenings or online to accommodate working professionals. The availability of other English and allied field electives varies by semester and department.

Can I complete the Graduate Certificate in Technical Communication as part of a Masters in English? 

Yes. Students can take an additional six graduate English courses and receive a Masters in English. The Graduate Certificate in Technical Communication is a terminal degree, so it can be awarded before the Masters is completed.

How do I apply to the program?

The application is available on the Graduate Studies page.

When are the deadlines for application?

The deadlines are available here. The Graduate Certificate reviews applications for Fall, Spring, and Summer admission.

What is the tuition for graduate courses at UAH?

Tuition information can be found at the Bursar’s website.

Can I receive financial aid for the Graduate Certificate in Technical Communication? 

Students enrolled in the Masters and Certificate program are eligible for loans and financial aid. Students enrolled only in the Certificate program are not eligible for federal loans and university financial aid.

What other resources do you recommend for people interested in technical writing and communication in Huntsville?

Check out the Society for Technical Communication Huntsville/North Alabama chapter. They offer events, training, and meetings for current and aspiring technical communicators.


0 Responses to “Graduate Certificate in Technical Communication FAQs”

  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: